Dr. Arik Kar
Department of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor (DST INSPIRE Faculty) - Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur, Howrah, India (27th October 2016- Till date)
- Post Doctoral Research Associate (Research Associate: Electron Microscopy) - University of Cambridge, UK (22nd January, 2016 – 21st July, 2016)
- Post Doctoral Research Assistant (Newton International Fellow) - University of Cambridge, UK (22nd January, 2014 – 21st January, 2016)
- Post Doctoral Research Assistant (Institute Fellow) - Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata, India (1st February, 2013 – 17th January, 2014)
- Ph.D. (Doctor of philosophy in Science awarded by Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India in 12th March, 2013), Title of the Ph.D. thesis- “Design of core-shell nanomaterials and their characterization”
- M.Sc. (Inorganic Chemistry) - University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India (2007, 1st class)
- B.Sc. (Chemistry) - University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India (2005, 1st class)
- Mobile: +91-7044752398/9748805008
- Permanent address:Dr. Arik Kar, C/O- Smt. Rina Kar, Binayak Apartment, Boro Taldanga, G.T. Road (West), Chandannagar, Hooghly, Pin-712136, West Bengal, India
- Present address:Department of Chemistry, IIEST, Shibpur, Howrah-711103, West Bengal, India
- Email: email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Area of Research
- Synthesis of various sized and shaped pure semiconductors, rare earth doped semiconductors, semiconductor-semiconductor and rare earth based core@shell nanostructures using different synthetic techniques such as colloidal, hydrothermal, sonochemical, sol-gel, microwave and ionic liquid assisted synthesis.
- Understanding the influence of shape, size and core@shell structures on the various physical properties of nanomaterials.
- Analysis of nanomaterials using various characterization techniques such as XRD, SEM, TEM, HRTEM, FTIR, Raman, XPS, BET, AFM, UV-Vis, Photoluminescence (PL), Time-resolved spectroscopy and electrical I-V study.
- Investigation of core-to-shell energy transfer using steady state and time resolved spectroscopy.
- Studying influences of lattice parameters and lattice strain on the physical properties of nanomaterials.
- Evaluation of photocatalytic activity of different sized and shaped semiconductors and core@shell semiconductor heterostructured nanomaterials.
- Investigating the optical properties of rare earth doped nanomaterials in detail by using steady state and time resolved spectroscopy.
- Bio-inorganic Chemistry (CH 1201)
- Crystal Field Theory (CH 1201)
- Polymeric Materials (CH 1201)
- Chemistry of Boron and its Compounds (PGC 402B)
- Environmental Chemistry (PGC 204)
Recent Publications (Last 10)
- Kar, A., Sain, S., Rossouw, D., Knappett, B., Pradhan, S., Botton, G. A., Wheatley, A. (2017): Targeting low-cost type-II heterostructures: synthesis, structure and photoreactivity. In: Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 698, 944-956.
- Kar, A., Sain, S., Rossouw, D., Knappett, B., Pradhan, S., Wheatley, A. (2016): Facile synthesis of SnO2-PbS nanocomposites with controlled structure for applications in photocatalysis. In: Nanoscale. 8, 2727-2739.
- Sain, S., Kar, A., Mukherjee, M., Das, D., Pradhan, S. (2016): Structure, optical and magnetic characterizations of Mn doped ZnS dilute magnetic semiconductor synthesized by mechanical alloying. In: Advanced Powder Technology. 27, 1790-1799.
- Kar, A., Kundu, S., Patra, A. (2015): Lanthanide-doped nanocrystals: strategies for improving the efficiency of upconversion emission and their physical understanding. In: ChemPhysChem. 16, 505-521.
- Kar, A., Sain, S., Kundu, S., Bhattacharyya, A., Pradhan, S. K., Patra, A. (2015): Function of size and shape on photocatalytic properties of SnO2 nanocrystals. In: ChemPhysChem. 16, 1017-1025.
- Kar, A., Patra, A. (2014): Recent development of core-shell SnO2 nanostructures and their potential applications. In: Journal of Materials Chemistry C. 2, 6706-6722.
- Sain, S., Kar, A., Patra, A., Pradhan, S. K. (2014): Structural interpretation of SnO2 nanocrystals of different morphologies synthesized by microwave irradiation and hydrothermal methods. In: CrystEngComm. 16, 1079-1090.
- Sain, S., Kar, A., Patra, A., Pradhan, S. K. (2014): Microstructure and photoluminescence properties of ternary Cd0.2Zn0.8S quantum dots synthesized by mechanical alloying. In: Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 16, 2673(1)- 2673(15).
- Kar, A., Patra, A. (2013): Recent advances of doping of SnO2 nanocrystals for their potential applications. In: Transaction of Indian Ceramic Society. 72, 89-99.
- 10. Kar, A., Kundu, A., Bhattacharyya, S., Mandal, S., Patra, A. (2013): Lanthanide based resonance energy transfer (LRET) between Ce-doped LaPO4 nanorods and coumarin 440 dye. In: RSC Advances. 3, 13372-13380.