Dr. Samar Jana
Associate Professor and Head
Department of Physics
- M.Sc (Physics, First Class, Rank Second): Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, (1992).
- Ph.D (Science): (Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Calcutta), University of Calcutta, (1999).
Honors, Awards & Recognition
- “Best Thesis Award” for the year 1998-1999, awarded by the Indian Physics Association.
- “National Scholarship” during 1983-1988, awarded by the Government of India.
- “Subhasini Sarkar Scholarship” for the year 1983, awarded by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education.
- Office: +9133 2668 4561 to 63 (Ext. 426/453)
- Mobile: +91 94334 28035, +91 98368 80068
- Residence: Quarter Pratichi-305, IIEST, Shibpur, Howrah 711103, West Bengal, India
- E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Area of Research
- Development and Spectroscopic characterization of Laser and Luminescent materials
- Photoluminescence, Fluorescence, Phosphorescence and Upconversion in rare earth doped glasses
- Synthesis and Optical properties of rare earth Nano-materials
- Materials Science
- Electromagnetic Theory
- Solid State Physics
- Material Physics (Special Paper: Physics of Laser and its applications, Dielectric and Optical properties of materials)
- General Laboratory
- Special Laboratory
- Advanced Laboratory
- Advanced Spectroscopy of rare earth Laser and Luminescent Materials
Research Guidance (Sole Supervision)
M.Sc Project - 30
Ph.D Thesis - 3
- Subrata Mitra (Ph.D Awarded in November 2015)
- Mithun De (UGC-NET Fellowship, Registration in July 2015)
- Subhash Sharma (DST-INSPIRE Fellowship, Registration in February 2016)
Recent Publications (Last 10)
- Subrata Mitra and Samar Jana, “Intense orange emission in Pr3+ doped lead phosphate glass”, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, Volume 85, Page 245-253, (2015).
- Subrata Mitra and Samar Jana, “Absorption and luminescence of PrCl3 in methanol, iso-propanol and butanol solvents”, Optik - International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Volume 126, Page 4037-4041, (2015).
- Subrata Mitra and Samar Jana, “Properties of the energy bands, Judd-Ofelt parameters and the fluorescence of neodymium chloride (NdCl3) in methanol, iso-propanol and butanol solvents”, Journal of Fluorescence (Springer), Volume 25, Page 541-549, (2015).
- Subrata Mitra and Samar Jana, “Energy bands, oscillator strengths and fluorescence of PrCl3 in methanol”, Abstracts of 5th International Conference on Luminescence and its Applications (ICLA-2015), PES University, Bangalore, India, (9-12 February, 2015).
- Samar Jana and Subrata Mitra, “Characteristics of the energy bands and the spectroscopic parameters of Pr3+ ions in PrCl3 mixed methanol, iso-propanol and butanol solutions”, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, Volume 83, Page 52-55, (2011).
- Samar Jana and Subrata Mitra, “Optical absorption and emission properties of Pr3+-doped 0.55PbO-0.45P2O5 glass”, Abstracts of the 16th International Conference on Luminescence (ICL’11), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA, Page 48 (WP234), (26 June - 1 July, 2011).
- Samar Jana and Subrata Mitra, “Spectroscopic study of Pr3+ ions in CdCl2 solution”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Volume 457, Page 477-479, (2008).
- Samar Jana and R. K. Mukherjee, “Zeeman spectroscopy of Nd3+ ions in CsCdCl3 crystal”, Chemical Physics Letters, Volume 320, Page 289-294, (2000).
- Samar Jana and R. K. Mukherjee, “Absorption spectroscopy of Eu3+ ions in CsCdCl3 crystals: an evidence of nonequivalent sites”, Solid State Communications, Volume 116, Page 581-584, (2000).
- Samar Jana and R. K. Mukherjee, “Generation and Measurement of Pulsed High Magnetic Field”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Volume 214, Page 234-242, (2000).