Ashis Kumar Bera
Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Department of Civil Engineering
- Ph.D.: Civil Engineering, Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur, India, 2005
- M.Tech. : Geotechnical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1998
- B.E. : Civil Engineering, Bengal Engineering College (A Deemed University), 1996
Honors, Awards, Recognition
- IIME Best paper Award, 2002
Field of Interest
List of Publications
(a) Publication in International Journals
- 1. Ashis Kumar Bera and Sayan Kundu (2016) Influence of fly ash content on Compaction characteristics of fly ash clay mixture, Jordan journal of Civil Engineering. Vol.10, No.1,
- 2. Ashis Kumar Bera and Sourav Chakraborty (2016) Compaction and unconfined strength of sand modified by class F fly ash, Geomechanics and Engineering, ( Techno press ). Vol.9, No.3,
- 3. Ashis Kumar Bera (2014) Compaction characteristics of fine grained soil and rice husk ash mixture, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. Vol.8, Issue 2, Pp.121-129.
- 4. Ashis Kumar Bera (2014). Parametric study on uplift capacity of anchor with tie in sand, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering.Vol. 18 No. 4, pp.1028-1035.
- 5. Ashis Kumar Bera (2013) Effect of Jute Geotextile on Consolidation Parameters for Fine Grained Soils and their Mathematical Model., Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, (ISSN: 1089-3032), USA, Vol. 17, Bundle L, pp. 2489-2500.
- 6. Ashis Kumar Bera (2013) Study on unconfined compressive strength of pond ash soil mixture reinforced with jute geotextiles, Emirates Journal for Engineering Research,18 (1), 59-65
- 7. Ashis Kumar Bera and Uday Banerjee (2013) Uplift capacity of model belled anchor embedded in sand, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. Vol.7, Issue 1, Pp.84-90
- 8. Ashis Kumar Bera and Arindom Roy (2012) Engineering properties of Jute geotextile and its efficacy to the consolidation of soil., Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, (ISSN: 1089-3032), USA, Vol. 17, Bundle R, pp. 2631-2645.
- 9. Ashis Kumar Bera and Amalendu Ghosh (2011) Regression model for prediction of optimum moisture content and maximum dry unit weight of fine grained soil, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. Vol.5, Issue 3, Pp.297-305
- 10. Ashis Kumar Bera (2011) Effect of sand content on engineering properties of fine grained soil., Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, (ISSN: 1089-3032), USA, Vol. 16, Bundle O, pp. 1275-1286.
- 11. Amalendu Ghosh and Ashis Kumar Bera, (2010) Effect of Geotextile tie on Uplift capacity of anchors, Journal of Geological and Geotechnical Engineering. ( ISSN: 0960-3182), Vol.28, No.5, Pp.567-577.
- 12. Ashis Kumar Bera, Sowmendra nath Chandra, Amalendu Ghosh and Ambarish Ghosh. (2009) Unconfined Compression Strength of fly ash reinforced with jute geotextiles , Journal of Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Vol.27, pp.391-398.
- 13. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh (2009). Shear Strength Response of Reinforce Pond Ash, Journal of Construction and Building Material, Construction and Building Materials, Elsevier. Vol.23, Issue.6, 2386 – 2393.
- 14. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh. ( 2008). Bearing Capacity of Square Footing on Reinforced Pond Ash, Journal of Ground Improvement, Thomas Telford. Vol. 161, No. GI1, 17– 22.
- 15. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh, (2007). Compaction Characteristics of Pond Ash, ASCE, Materials in Civil Engineering Division. Vol.19, No.4, 349 – 357.
- 16. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh. (2007) Behaviour of Model Footing on Pond Ash, Journal of Geological and Geotechnical Engineering. Vol. 25, No. 3, 315 –325.
- 17. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh ( 2005 ). Regression Model for Bearing Capacity of Square Footing on Reinforced Pond Ash, Journal of Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Vol.23, No.3, 261 – 285.
- 18. Amalendu Ghosh, Ambarish Ghosh and Ashis Kumar Bera ( 2005 ). Bearing Capacity of Square Footing on Pond Ash Reinforced with Jute - Geotextile, Journal of Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Vol.23, No.2, 144–173.
- 19. G.G.Roy, A. Bera and J.H.Mankar (2000). Effect of Design and Operating Parameters on Gas Hold-up in Pachuca ( air – agitated ) tanks, Journal of Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy, Section C, Transactions of the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy, Vol.109,May – August, C90 –C96.
(b) Published in National Conference
- 1. Bera, A.K. and Hazra, S .( 2014). Effect of RHA content on engineering properties of clayey soil RHA mixture, IGC Calcutta ( Kolkata Chapter ), pp. 82-84., 2014.
- 2. Datta,S., Bera, A.K., and Chattopadhyay, K.K.( 2014) “Effect of size of reinforcement on bearing capacity of footing on reinforced sand using ABAQUES, IGC Kakinada, pp. 1475-1479.
- 3. Chakraborty, S., and Bera, A.K.( 2014) “ Strength Characteristics of Geotextile reinforced sand fly-ash composite material” IGC Kakinada, pp.1056-1059.
- 4. Roy, S.K., Ghosh, A, Bera, A.K., and Chakraborty, S ( 2013 ) “Load settlement behaviour of Jute geotextile reinforced subgrade of rural road using ABAQUES” National Seminar on Jute Geotextiles, Calcutta. Pp.61-72.
- 5. S. Mondal, S, Patra, Bera, A.K., Effect of u / B ratio on bearing capacity of footing on reinforced sand: a FEM based analysis, IGC Roorkee, 2013.
- 6. Ashis Kumar Bera and Samrat Ghose ( 2012). Effect of position of ties and vertical spacing on uplift capacity of anchor with ties on sand, IGC Delhi Pp.560-563.
- 7. Ashis Kumar Bera, Prithwish Bhattacharya, and Amalendu Ghosh, (2012). Effect of jute geotextile on consolidation properties of soil, Procedings of National Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, Budge Budge,Calcutta, pp.111-114.
- 8. Ashis Kumar Bera, Aridom Roy, ( 2011 ). Geotechnical Characterization of Jute Geotextile, , IGC,. Kochi PP. 515-518
- 9. Ashis Kumar Bera, Prabir Bhattacharya, and Amalendu Ghosh, ( 2011 ). Effect of fibre content on California Bearing Ratio value of pond ash, IGC , Kochi, pp.511-514.
- 10. Ashis Kumar Bera, Partha Saha and Samrat Ghose ( 2011). Effect of number of geotextile ties on uplift behavior of anchor embedded in sand,Proc: National seminar, IGC Calcutta chapter, Calcutta. Pp.140-143.
- 11. Ashis Kumar Bera ( 2010 ).Effect of pond ash content on engineering properties of fine grained soil. IGC, Bombay.pp.405-408.
- 12. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh ( 2009 ). Regression model for prediction of normal stress at failure of reinforced pond ash. IGC, Guntur. PP. 384-387.
- 13. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh ( 2009 ). Laboratory investigation on behavior of square footing on pond ash reinforced with geotextiles, Proc: Emerging trend in Ground Improvement, Kolkata.
- 14. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh ( 2008 ). Effect of specimen size on unconfined compressive strength of fly ash reinforced with Jute Geotextiles. IGC, Bangalore. PP. 344-347.
- 15. A.K.Bera, S.N. De, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh ( 2008 ). Unconfined Compressive Strength Properties of Fine Grained Soils Reinforced with Jute Geotextiles. Geotechnique in Present Development Scenario, IGC ( Kolkata ) pp. 14 - 19.
- 16. A.K.Bera and Ambarish Ghosh ans Amalendu Ghosh ( 2007 ). Bearing Capacity of Model Footing on Pond Ash Reinforced with Geotextiles. All India Seminer on Technical Textiles in Civil Engineering. Kolkata, PP. 48 – 52.
- 17. Partha Basu , Ashis Kumar Bera and N.K. Samadhiya ( 2006 ). Bearing capacity of strip footing on pond ash. Indian Geotechnical Conference, Chennai, pp. 875-878.
- 18. A.K.Bera and P. Chatterjee ( 2003 ). A study on model piles in groups subjected to lateral movement of soil. National conference on Advances in Civil Engineering: Perspectives of Developing Countries, H.B.T.I., Kanpur.
(c) Published in International Conference
- 1. Ashis Kumar Bera and Amalendu Ghosh ( 2007 ) Effect Of vertical spacing of reinforcement on bearing capacity of square footing on pond ash reinforced with Jute Geotextile in the International Conference (CENeM-2007 ), Vol.III, PP.1414-1420.
- 2. Ashis Kumar Bera, Ambarish Ghosh and Amalendu Ghosh. Shear strength characteristics of geotextile and pond ash interfaces in the International Conference (CENeM-2007) , Vol.III, pp. 1420-1426.
(d) Published in Book
- 1. Ashis Kumar Bera ( 2008 ). Reinforced earth. Ground Improvement Techniques. Dept. of Civil Engineering, BESUS, Howrah-711 103.
- 2. Ashis Kumar Bera ( 2012 ). “Soil stabilization”. Refresher Course on Advanced Civil Engineering. Dept. of Civil Engineering, BESUS, Howrah-711 103.
- Development and application of potentially important jute geotextiles ( CFC/IJSG/21 ), Sponsored by NJB, India and funded by common fund commodities, Netherlands, Project duration, 2010-2015.
- Consolidated drained triaxial tests for Under ground tunnel section of East West Metro of Calcutta, From M/S S. K. Mitra & Associates, in the year of 2009, 1,25,000/-
- Consultancy Service for over ground 36’’ diameter Crude Oil Jetty line at HBCPL, Haldia Ref: ERPL/TS/ML-MNTHBCPL/354.1 , dated: 02/04/2009, 5,00,000/-
- Inspection of Vidasagar satu through Ram and viaduct.
- Analysis of Glass Fibre (DRC/SCE-CoN/CE/AKB/012/14-15 )
- Analysis of Bottom Ash and Steel Plant Slag Material in Ash Dyke as substitute of Sand (DRC/NSPCL-CoN/CE/AKB/008/14-15)
- Testing of engineering properties of soils and also testing of engineering properties geotextiles
(h) List of M.E. Thesis Guided
|Sl. No.||Name of Student||Duration (Year of Passing)||Title of the Thesis||Area of Research|
|1.||Subir K. Susmal||2 years (2015)||Load settlement characteristics of footing on layered soil||Geotechnical Engineering|
|2.||Swapan Das||2 years (2015)||A study on improvement of ground by using sand drain||Geotechnical Engineering|
|3.||Arun K. Nath||2 years (2015)||Parametric study of stone column for ground improvement||Geotechnical Engineering|
|4.||Saikat Dutta||2 years (2014)||Parametric study of bearing capacity of footing on reinforced sand by Using ABAQUS||Geotechnical Engineering|
|5.||Pranamya Ray||2 years (2014)||Behaviour of laterally loaded pile Under Axial Compressive load||Geotechnical Engineering|
|6.||Sayan Kundu||2 years (2014)||Evaluation of strength and deformation characteristics of stabilized soil with fly-ash, jute and synthetic reinforcement||Geotechnical Engineering|
|7.||Saurav Chakraborty||2 years (2014)||Strength characteristics of geotextile reinforced class F fly ash modified with sand||Geotechnical Engineering|
|8.||Biswajit Das||2 years (2014)||Ground improvement techniques by stone column based on laboratory experiments||Geotechnical Engineering|
|9.||Somenath Mondal||2 years (2013)||Study on load -settlement characteristics of square footing on reinforced sand||Geotechnical Engineering|
|10.||Souvik Patra||2 years (2013)||Influence of Reinforcement on Load Settlement Characteristics of Reinforced Subgrade||Geotechnical Engineering|
|11.||Soumendu Hazra||1½ years (2013)||A Study on Strength Behaviour of Fine Grained Soil –RHA Mixture Reinforced with Jute Geotextile||Geotechnical Engineering|
|12.||Remanta Mukherjee||1½ years (2013)||CBR and UCS in Soft Soil with or without Fibre Reinforcement||Geotechnical Engineering|
|13.||Prithwish Bhattacharya||1½ years (2012)||A study on consolidation behaviour of fine grained soil with Jute-Geotextile and without Jute geotextile||Geotechnical Engineering|
|14.||Samrat Ghose||1½ years (2012)||Parametric study on uplift capacity of model belled anchors with geotextile sheets as ties embedded in sand||Geotechnical Engineering|
|15.||Arindom Roy||1½ years (2011)||Engineering properties of limited life geotextile and its application to geotechnical engineering||Geotechnical Engineering|
|16.||Uday Banerjee||1½ years (2011)||Uplift capacity of model belled anchor Embedded in sand||Geotechnical Engineering|
|17.||Partha Saha||1½ years (2011)||Uplift capacity of model belled anchor with geotextile ties Embedded in sand||Geotechnical Engineering|
|18.||Kaushik Mandal||1½ years (2010)||Study on Shear Strength characteristics of stabilized soil reinforced with Jute Geotextiles||Geotechnical Engineering|
|19.||Prabir Kr. Bhattacharya||1½ years (2010)||Engineering Properties of Soil Fibre Mixture for Road Construction||Geotechnical Engineering|
|20.||Rabindra nath Majumder||1½ years (2010)||Effect of Presence of Sand on Compaction Characteristics of Alluvial Cohesive Soil||Geotechnical Engineering|
|21.||Partha Pinaki||1½ years (2009)||Prediction of Bearing Capacity of Footing on Reinforced Soil by Using Artificial Neural Network||Geotechnical Engineering|
|22.||Shiv nath De||1½ years (2008)||Study of Unconfined Compressive Strength Properties of Fine Grained Soils Reinforced with Jute Geotextiles||Geotechnical Engineering|
|23.||Akshaya Kumar Panda||1½ years (2007)||Prediction of Dry Density of Fine Grained Soil Using Artificial Neural Network||Geotechnical Engineering|
|24.||Rajanish Kumar||1½ years (2007)||Design Approach of Reinforced Earth Retaining Wall||Geotechnical Engineering|
|25.||Sowmendra Nath Chandra||1½ years (2006)||Unconfined Compressive Strength of Reinforced Fly Ash||Geotechnical Engineering|
|26.||Joyanta Kumar Bhowmik||1½ years (2006)||Shear Strength Characteristics of Reinforced Pond Ash||Geotechnical Engineering|
|27.||Pralay Mandal||1½ years (2004)||Ultimate Bearing Capacity of Model Footing Resting on Reinforced Pond Ash||Geotechnical Engineering|
|28.||Joyanta Maity||1½ years (2003)||Behaviour of Square footing on Reinforced Pond Ash||Geotechnical Engineering|
|29.||Partha Basu||1½ years (2002)||Bearing Capacity of Strip Footing on Pond Ash||Geotechnical Engineering|
(i) List of PhD Thesis Guided
- 1. Sauvik Patra- Enrolled, 2012 & Registration on 2014 Dec.