Professor and Head
Department of Architecture, Town and Regional Planning
- PhD-BESU Shibpur, 2010
- M.Arch-University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, USA, 1989
- B.Arch-University of Calcutta, 1985
Honors, Awards & Achievements
- Member, National Advisory Committee (2014-2017), National Information Centre of Earthquake Engineering (NICEE), Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Member, International Editorial Board, Projects For: Series of Publications, Sapienza Universita di Roma
- Member of the International Review Committee constituted by Geohazards International for reviewing the Training materials for Hospital Earthquake Safety in India focusing the role of Non-structural elements in Hospital buildings.
- Post Doctoral Fellow, 2012, Erasmus Mundus Project Eurasian Universities Network for International Cooperation in Earthquakes (EUNICE), Dipartimento di Ingegneria Stutturale e Geotechnica, Sapienza Universita di Roma
- Natural Hazards Centre, University of Colorado at Boulder, Mary Fran Myers Scholarship 2011, For attending the 2011 Hazards Research and Applications Workshop, from July 9-12 in Broomfield, Colorado. This scholarship recognizes outstanding individuals who are committed to disaster research and practice and who have the potential to make a lasting contribution to reducing disaster vulnerability.
- Indian national Academy of Engineering (INAE), Mentoring of engineering teachers by INAE fellows, Received the fellowship to work in Earthquake Engineering at IIT Kanpur under Professor Sudhir K Jain, FINAE during Summer 2008
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Area/s of research
- Earthquake resistant architecture.
- Urban disaster risk reduction.
- Evolution of regulatory systems in urban settings.
- Confined Masonry: the development of new building typologies and technologies appropriate for Indian conditions and that are inherently good for resisting earthquake shaking.
- Rapid Visual Screening for earthquake vulnerability assessment.
- Urban Design
- Urban Design Studio
- Architectural Design for 7th semester
- Architectural Programming
- Disaster Resistant Architecture
- Evolution of Architecture
- Disaster Mitigation and Management
- Principles of Urban Design
Undergraduate thesis Coordinator 2015-2016, 2016-2017.
UG Thesis Joint Supervisor to two students from the University of Sapienza Rome
Recent Publications (Last 10)
- Jain, S.K., Brzev, S., Basu, D., Rai, D.C. and Mitra, K., 2016. Confined Masonry Construction for Improved Seismic Safety of Buildings in India. Presentation at the International Conference on Emerging Building Materials and Construction Technologies, New Delhi, March 21-22, 2016. Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council, Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation, Government of India.
- Joti, S. & Mitra, K., 2014. “PERFORMANCE OF MASONRY MONASTERY STRUCTURES IN THE M 6.9 SIKKIM (INDIA-NEPAL BORDER) EARTHQUAKE OF 18 SEPTEMBER, 2011:: A LESSON’. Poster presentation at the 2nd European Conference in Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Istanbul, Turkey. August 24-29, 2014.
- Joti, S. & Mitra, K., 2014. “Sustainable Technologies Used In Vernacular Earthquake Resistant Structures’. In Proceedings of the National Symposium on Sustainability and the Built Environment: Searching for Synergies, Kolkata. February, 2014.
- Mitra, K. (2013). Invited Lecture at Inception Workshop for the studies towards Preparation of Compendiums for “greening” of rural housing organized by the Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, UNDP, and HUDCO. New Delhi, December 19, 2013.
- Mitra, K., Ailawadi, S., Rai, D.C. Initiatives in Educating Future Architects in Earthquake Resistant Design Practices. Seismological Research Letters, Volume 84, Number 5, September/October 2013, pp 820-828.
- Joti, S., & Mitra, K., 2013. Performance of masonry monastery structures in the M 6.9 Sikkim (India–Nepal Border) earthquake of 18 September, 2011:: A General Overview. In Proceedings of the 12th Canadian Masonry Symposium, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, June 2-5, 2013.
- Mitra, K., Kumar, H., & Murty, CVR., 2013. Hybridization of Masonry House Constructions with Reinforced Concrete in Moderate-Severe Seismic Zones in India:: Implications on seismic safety. In Proceedings of the 12th Canadian Masonry Symposium, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, June 2-5, 2013.
- Murty, C.V.R., Rai, D.C., Kumar, H., Mitra, K., Bose, A.K., Kaushik, H.B., Kumar, R.P., Jaiswal, A., 2012. A Methodology for documenting Housing Typologies in the Moderate-Severe Seismic Zones. Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. Lisbon, Portugal, September 24-28, 2012, CD Paper ID:
- Rai, D.C., Mondal, G., Singhal, V., Parool, N., Pradhan, T & Mitra, K, 2012. The M 6.9 Sikkim (India–Nepal Border) earthquake of 18 September 2011, Current Science (vol. 102) May 2012. ISSN 0011-3891.
- Mitra, K. (2012). Invited Lecture at the Workshop on Sikkim Earthquake 2011 at the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), New Delhi on February 9, 2012.
Books and book chapters
- Mitra, K. The Calcutta Chronicles. From Calcutta to Kolkata. In Geropanta, V & E. Lucantoni (eds) Projects For: Kolkata The regeneration of the Hooghly riverfront. Aracne editrice int.le SRL, Rome. June 2015. ISBN: 978-88-548-8550-9.
- Murty, C.V.R., Kumar, H., Mitra, K., Rai, D.C., Bose. A Methodology for documenting Housing Typologies in the Moderate-Severe Seismic Zones of India. Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council Ministry of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation New Delhi.