Two major nationally important projects under Jawaharlal Nehru Solar Energy Mission ( JNNSM ) entitled “Advanced Research on Thin Film silicon solar Cells and PV systems” sponsored by MNRE, Govt. of India and “Solar Photovoltaic Hub at BESU” sponsored by DST, Govt. of India have been awarded to CEGESS.
The objective of these projects are:
- to set up an international standard state of the art laboratories for the fabrication and characterization of crystalline silicon and amorphous solar cells
- to develop high efficiency micromorph thin silicon solar cell as well as HIT type solar cell and transfer the technology to industry for commercial production in India
- to carry out advanced research for the enhancement of efficiency through utilization of plasmonics and nanostructures in solar cells.
- to upgrade the existing solar PV systems as well as develop new type solar PV systems including storage in India.
Specific areas of current research :
- Fabrication of crystalline silicon solar cells with a baseline efficiency of 15-17% and crystalline silicon plasmonic solar cell with enhanced efficiency of about 2% over the baseline efficiency
- Amorphous silicon plasmonic solar cell with enhanced efficiency over the baseline efficiency of 8-10 %
- Enhancement of the stabilized efficiency of single junction (a-Si) and tandem structure (micromorph) silicon thin film solar cells by using,new materials, deposition techniques and nanotechnology, Improvement in production technology leading to higher yield and throughput thus lowering cost.
- Development of high efficiency Heterojunction with Intrinsic Thin Film (HIT ) solar cell.
- Design and development of nano-material based third generation solar cells using silicon nanoparticles and nanostructures.
- FPGA/Microcontroller based design and development of small capacity high efficiency inverter cum charge controller, suitable for solar lighting system including LED based lighting systems.
- Design, development and field testing of MPPT based high efficiency inverters and grid synchronizing system components used in grid interactive roof top PV systems.
- Design, field-testing and performance evaluation of PV systems including BIPV
- Open Source software platform for remote health monitoring and fault diagnostics of PV array
- Storage Systems ( including Supercapacitors )
Major Research Projects : Click here to view details [PDF File]
Technology : Click here to view details [PDF File]
Publications : Click here to view details [PDF File]