The Centre for Healthcare Science and Technology at IIEST, Shibpur has been introduced in year 2010 in erstwhile BESU with an objective to provide interdisciplinary research and training programs encompassing the fields of modern biology, medicine, engineering, physics, chemistry and mathematics etc. to solve important and persistent problems related to public health in the society. CHST, IIEST Shibpur strives to integrate the knowledge base generated in these various fields of study and provide a cross discipline platform for indigenous innovation in the medical sector.
Interestingly, medical technology is a highly innovation driven sector witnessing continuous evolution. At the same time, their human application and marketing is preceded by intensive regulatory scrutiny. Thus the bench to bedside process is highly volatile and time consuming. Presently, extensive global research in the area depict inclination towards a systems approach to understand human physiology under normal and disease conditions, robotizing surgical procedures, miniaturizing devices for non-invasive real time imaging of biochemical processes, creating intelligent systems for programmed delivery of drugs, genetic therapeutics, and harnessing the potential of stem cells for regenerative medicine. We at CHST, IIEST Shibpur embrace these global trends to evolve local solutions for the national healthcare system wherein exists an immediate and compelling desire for improvement in quality and efficiency.
Vision and mission:
The vision of the Center is to undertake cutting edge research and education in the areas of national healthcare importance and evolving comprehensive and integrative methods for solving the same and to make an impact on sustainable living and affordable healthcare In the process, this will emerge as internationally recognized centre of excellence for intensive teaching and research in areas of biological and biomedical engineering and collaborate with other departments of the institute, industrial enterprises and relevant medical, technological, management, or academic institutions. The center will follow the principle that most biomedical technologies essentially require intensive participation of different types of stakeholders and appropriate strategies be designed to evolve a model wherein multiple stakeholders can deliver impactful technological outputs. To realize its vision and accomplish its mission, the centre will have the following specific activities: -
- Offer various UG (5-year integrated) and PG(2-year) courses in Bio-Science and Engineering with certain specializations that will focus on emerging areas of Medical Devices Development and Validation, Biosensors, Biomaterials, Biomechanics, Biomedical Imaging and Optics, Biosystems Controls, Biomarkers and Diagnostics, Tissue Engineering and Biological Signal Acquisitions, Processing and Control, Biological Machines, Bio-inspired Designing of Machines, Molecular Engineering, Biostatistics and Quantitative Biology etc.
- Conduct courses with significant participation from external faculty, industrial and regulatory experts on Technology management, supply chain models for biomedical products etc.
- Offer dynamic PhD courses in relevant areas of expertise. Also to provide customized/flexible PhD Courses to student(s) of any department of the institute pursuing/ intended to pursue his/her thesis on specific problems in biology.
- Integrate the various healthcares and bioscience related activities of the institute under one roof to better utilize the resources of the Institution and provide ready platform for informed cross-talk amongst interested workers.
- Provide a platform for interaction between medical fraternity with scientists and management experts from neighboring institutions interested to work in identified topics by organizing regular seminar series.
- enter into collaborative research engagements with Extra-mural funding agencies and Industrial Organizations for better understanding of issues of scientific and technological management between different stakeholders.
- Explore opportunities of providing courses in concert with extra-mural agencies e.g. CCRH-IIEST Program on Integrative Medicine etc.
- Create a congenial eco-system for biomedical/ sustainable ideas to develop and translate into clinical products.
- Facilitate incubation of business ideas from students and mentor them to develop as entrepreneurs.