The beginning of this century is marked as interdisciplinary age which has not only revolutionized Indian and global industrial market but also has put an impact in engineering education system. Bengal Engineering & Science University, Shibpur responded timely by introducing a new specialized engineering degree course in mechatronics under the School of Mechatronics & Robotics.
School of Mechatronics and Robotics is the outcome of the precious collaboration between BESUS and CSIR New Delhi through its constituent institutes:
- Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute (CEERI) Pilani
- Central Scientific Instrument Organisation (CSIO) Chandigarh
- Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI) Durgapur
- Mechatronics is defined as “a synergistic combination of precision mechanical engineering, electronic control and systems thinking in the design of products and manufacturing processes”. Synergy is achieved when a number of different agents combine to produce something of which the total is greater than the sum of the parts. The combination itself gives rise to a property which does not exist a-priori within anyone of the constituent agencies. Thus, a mechatronically designed product can meet specifications which were previously unattainable or even unthinkable. The Mechatronic designer must be a generalist, willing to seek and apply knowledge from a broad range of sources.
The School has been established to offer the followings:
- Introduce full time interdisciplinary Post Graduate programme in mechatronics.
- Take venture of collaboration with the industries.
- Frame sponsored research projects and strengthen research activities.
- Organize workshops, colloquia, seminars and symposia with participation of experts, academicians, industrialists and administrators working on the field of mechatronics, robotics and industrial automation.
- Disseminate knowledge in related fields through publication of newsletters, working papers, and journal for their sharing among scholars and development practitioners.
- Create physical infrastructure to accommodate the facilities and equipments necessary for conducting its activities.