- Aerodynamic Model Testing using Wind Tunnel.
- Dynamic Model Testing using Shaker Table
- Aircraft pitch, roll and yaw control set up.
- Quadrotor test set up.
- Material Testing using UTM
- Vibration fundamental trainer
- Tilting Flume.
- Micro-Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter (16 MHz).
- Compressible Flow Bench
- Nozzle Pressure Distribution Measuring Setup
- Nozzle Performance Experimental Setup.
- Multifinger Dexterous Robot Hand
- Implant Testing using Knee Joint Simulator
- Dynamic Analysis of Gait using Kistler
- Force Platform & Barograph
- Major Laboratories:
The department is equipped with state-of-the-art laboratories required to execute advance research activities.
- Wind Tunnel Lab
The laboratory has been developed with financial assistance from DST, New Delhi under FIST programme for measurement of wind flow induced force and moment on different test objects.
- Strength of Materials:
Experimental facilities are available to find fundamental mechanical behavior of materials. Tensile test, Hardness tests, Impact test, Torsion test, Buckling test, Fatigue test, Strain Hardening test are some major experiments carried out in this laboratory.
- Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics Lab:
The laboratory houses experimental facilities pertaining to demonstration of fundamental principles of fluid mechanics such as momentum balance, energy balance, etc. In addition the aim of the laboratory is also to provide hands on training on pressure measurement, discharge measurement, velocity measurement, calibration of measurement equipment. In addition flow visualization apparatus such as Hele Shaw apparatus (around airfoils etc.), Reynolds apparatus, etc. are also available. Research work is carried out in area of turbulence and boundary layers.
- Structural Dynamics Laboratory
This laboratory also developed with financial support from DST New Delhi under FIST programme. Two indigenous test setup has been developed - shake table for testing small-scale model under simulated earthquake loading and cyclic loading for testing of specimens under cyclic loading by displacement controlled actuator system of test specimens.
Major areas of ongoing research are listed below:
- Optimization of subject-specific hip implant for better bone remodeling
- Lumbar implant design for spinal stabilization
- Automobile frontal impact on knee-thigh-hip complex
- Design for optimum implant materials for specific subject
- Implant design for different bone conditions
- Functionally graded material design for dental implant under different bone condition.
This laboratory has been introduced in 2011. The primary objective of this laboratory is to provide the students necessary materials and training for aeromodelling and flight testing. The students have been able to design and fabricate various R/C aircrafts and hovercrafts with controller and some of the models have been tested successfully in flight test. Apart from the above models the students have fabricated a flapping wing ornithopter model as a part of their curriculum. The fabrication of wings with different shapes and aspect ratios are tested in the low speed subsonic Wind Tunnel of the department.
- CAD Laboratory
This laboratory is equipped with following major softwares e.g. ANSYS, Fluent, Matlab, Pro-Engineering (Creo), LabView, Adams, CATIA, LsDyna, Mimics.
- Mechatronics and Robotics:
Area of research includes Dexterous Multifinger Hand, Intelligent Wheelchair, Lower Body Exoskeleton, Ankle Foot Prosthesis, Aero-Blimp, Stair Climbing Mobile Vehicle, Hand Exoskeleton, Robotic Millipede, Earthworm, Micro-gripper , Pressure Mat, Fluid Power System. with the research funding from BRNS, DST, AICTE, UGC, Indo-US, IE(I), L&T, DRDO.
- Aerospace Structure:
This laboratory is equipped with fundamental experimental facilities like Buckling of thin column, Bending of plates, Determination of Shear Centre of thin sections, Load displacement characteristics of Frames, Determination of stress of thin wall T Beam, Plastic bending of Beams.
The thermodynamics laboratory has been established in the year 2013 and the following experiments are performed:
- Heat transfer from a pin-fin (natural and forced convection)
- Heat transfer in forced convection
- Thermal conductivity of metal bar
- Heat transfer through composite wall
- Emissivity measurement of non-black plate surface
- Verification of Stefan Boltzmann Law
- Experiments on plate heat exchanger (overall heat transfer coefficient etc.)
- Mechanical Vibration:
Vibration Fundamental Trainer with Data Acquisition system is used for fundamental tests in vibration engineering like Dynamic characteristics of SDOF and 2 DOF systems, Experiments on base excitation, Determination of logarithmic decrement, Torsional vibration experiment, Experiments on vibration of distributed mass systems; concepts of ODS and tuned mass damper.
- Stability and Control:
The major objective of this laboratory is to make the students familiar with aircraft dynamics and control systems. At present, there are two experimental set ups in this laboratory. Presently, Aircraft Pitch and Yaw Control Experimental Set up and Quad rotor Aircraft Experimental Setup are available.