Welcome to School of Materials Science and Engineering (SMSE)
The School of Materials Science and Engineering started functioning as a seat of multidisciplinary research and education in the year 2001. The need to integrate the efforts of scientists and engineers working with different aspects of a wide variety of materials has been the primary motivation for creation of this school. The school emphasizes at providing a holistic approach in researching materials to create new knowledge and lay the foundations for new technologies.
The school aims at providing quality postgraduate education to meritorious undergraduates with keen interest in materials research. At SMSE students are provided with an educational grounding in the fundamental principles common to all materials before they could embark on research in a specialized field.
The research and education at SMSE is closely associated with industry and several academic institutions of repute with an aim to foster cutting edge research and establish ourselves as a leader in this field. We have a standing Memorandum of Agreement between M. N. Dastur & Co (P) Limited according to which the company provides financial support for functioning of the school.
Interests within the school span the entire spectrum of engineering materials including metals, polymers, solid state device materials, ceramics, composites, bio-materials, energy and environmental materials with a special focus on nanomaterials. The school has resources to address these scientific and engineering problems successfully.
Our vision is to create a vibrant, supportive community of materials scientists and engineers committed to expand fundamental understanding of materials, develop advanced technologies, and provide leadership through education and innovative research geared to meet the current and future needs of society.
- To provide a lively meeting ground for material scientists and engineers from industry and academia and increase the level of cooperation between the participating institutions both at national and international levels.
- To provide quality post-graduate education in materials science and engineering and promote interdisciplinary research at the forefront of the field.
- To put more stress on those aspects of materials research that could have a positive bearing on the society and has the potential to touch the common man.
- To focus on problems of interest to industry and government in materials processing, characterization, synthesis and applications.
- To provide leadership in the cross-disciplinary materials community.