I am Dr. Jhuma Ganguly, currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemistry at the Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur, West Bengal, India. My husband’s name is Dr. Dipesh Gangopadhyay (husband), and my son’s name is Samriddha Ganguly. During my school years in Durgapur, I was attracted to chemistry. I was fortunate to have wonderful academic ambiances in Durgapur Government College and subsequently in the Burdwan University (BSc and MSc). I pursued my Ph.D. at the Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB-CSIR). After completing my Ph.D., I joined the West Bengal College Service as Lecturer in Chemistry and later I joined the Department of Chemistry in the Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST), Shibpur (the then Bengal Engineering and Science University) as an Assistant Professor in 2003 and working there since then. A major setback came in 2004, after the birth of my son, when I became seriously ill and doctors suspected Ovarian Cancer. I overcame that episode with the help and encouragement from my family and by some wonderful doctors including Dr. Shrabani Banerjee, who treated me well. My husband played an inspirational and supportive role to enable me to maintain a balance between my research carrier and family life.
- MSc, PhD (2003), IICB, Kolkata (Jadavpur University)
- Research Associate at Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA (2009-2011)
- Synthesis : Designed Sugar-based materials, Colloidal, Hydrogels, Organogels and their spectroscopic analysis.
- Glycobiology from natural resources (Algae, mushrooms, bacteria etc.)
- Microencapsulation of Nanoparticles and applications
- Fabrication of carbohydrates into film, nanofibre, gel, molecular assembly will be a challenging and growing research area. Self-assembled and porous materials with distinguished fluorescence activities, excellent adsorption capacities are at the centre of my current study. The elementary and essential self-assembly and self-healing mechanism are trying to establish among the materials functionalities. The utilization of natural resources in real field application is a target of my research.
J. Biswas, P. Saha, Jhuma Ganguly Amal K. Paul, Production and characterization of a bioactive extracellular homopolysaccharide produced by Haloferax sp. BKW301, Journal of Basic Microbiology, 2020
A. Hussain, S. Ghosh, K. Roy, S. Nath, B. Sarkar, A. Dutta, P. Maji, S. Basu, S. Paul, S. Dey, K. Chakraborty, B. Raychaudhury, K. Acharya, Jhuma Ganguly Chiranjib Pal, A mushroom derived ‘carbohydrate?fraction’ reinstates host?immunity and protects from Leishmania donovani infection, Parasite Immunology, 2020
D.Pan, S. Maity, N. Parshi, Jhuma Ganguly, Remarkable solvent tunable Aggregation Caused Quenching for Fluorochromic Chitosan based Hydrogel, Journal of Molecular Liquids (Accepted on 11/10/2020), 2020
S.Maity, N. Naskar, B. Jana, S.Lahiri and J. Ganguly, Fabrication of thiophene-chitosan hydrogel-trap for efficient immobilization of mercury (II) from aqueous environs, Carbohydrate Polymer, 2020
B. Jana, S. Maity, A. Mondal and J. Ganguly, Synthesis of 9-ethyl-3-isothiacyanato Carbazole for Turn on Fluorescence for Rapid and Selective Detection of Cd2+ in Aqueous System, 222, 117128, Journal of Luminescence, 2020
Jhuma Ganguly, Lecture and Poster: Sugar Based Gelators: A Smart Future, 10th Indo-German Frontiers of Engineering Symposium organized by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, DST and IIT, Kanpur from 24 to 27 May 2018 at Potsdam, Germany, 2019
Jhuma Ganguly, Invited Lecture: Microgels for Development of Functional Bio-inspired application, 106th Indian Science Congress 3rd to 7th January, 2019, LPU, Jalandhar, 2019
Jhuma Ganguly, Invited Lecture: Sugar support functional materials for Bio-inspired application, Indo-German workshop at University of Delhi, 5th and 6th April, 2019, 2019
N. Parshi, D. Pan, V. Dhavle, B. Jana , S. Maity , J. Ganguly, Fabrication of lightweight and reusable salicylaldehyde functionalized chitosan as adsorbent for dye removal and its mechanism, 141, 626–635, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules,, 2019
S.Maity, N. Naskar, S.ahiri and J. Ganguly, Polysaccharide-derived hydrogel water filter for the rapid and selective removal of arsenic, 5, 1318–1327, Environ. Sci.: Water Res. Technol., 2019