Dr. Gaurav Saini is presently working as Temporary Faculty in the Department of Center of Excellence for Green Energy and Sensor Systems, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) Shibpur. He received his Ph.D. in Renewable Energy (Hydrokinetic Turbines) in the year of 2020 and M. Tech, (Energy Systems) in the year of 2014 from Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Uttarakhand India. Prior to join IIEST Shibpur, he was working as Project Fellow at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. His Research areas include Renewable Energy (Hydrokinetic Energy, Wind Power, and Biomass), Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power. Dr. Gaurav is skilled in ANSYS Fluent, HEC- RAS, CCHE2D Flow, CFX, Design Modeler, Pro-E (Design modeling).
Ph.D. (Engineering) from Department of Hydro and Renewable Energy, IIT Roorkee, 2020
M.Tech (Energy Systems) from Department of Hydro and Renewable Energy, IIT Roorkee, 2014
B. Tech (Mechanical Engineering) from Department of Mechanical Engineering, GBTU Lucknow, 2011
AREA OF INTEREST
- Small Hydro power- Equipment design, selection and performance evaluation
- Hydrokinetic Energy- Site Selection and resource assessment, Technology selection and design, Installation strategies, Performance evaluation and O&M issues.
- Wind Energy- Sites selection and resource assessment, optimal selection of equipment, performance testing and installation.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) - Numerical Modelling and Roto-dynamics analysis, Fluid Structure Interaction, Multiphase flow analysis.
- Modeling of various renewable energy resources viz. Wind, wave, solar and hydrokinetic energy for rural applications
PEER-REVIEWED SCI JOURNALS
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2020), A computational investigation to analyze the effects of different rotor parameters on hybrid hydrokinetic turbine performance, Ocean Engineering, Elsevier, 199, Article No: 107019, DOI:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2020.107019 Impact Factor: 3.068, SCImago Journal Rank (SJR): 1.281.
- Kumar Anuj, Saini, R.P., Saini Gaurav, Dwivedi Gaurav, (2020), Effect of number of stages on the performance characteristics of modified Savonius hydrokinetic turbine Ocean Engineering, Elsevier 217 Article No: 108090,DOI: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2020.108090 Impact Factor: 3.068, SCImago Journal Rank (SJR): 1.281.
- Saini Gaurav, Kumar Anuj and Saini R.P., (2020), Assessment of hydrokinetic energy – A case study of eastern Yamuna canal, Materials today: Proceedings, (Article in Press) DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2020.08.595.
- Kumar Anuj and Saini Gaurav, (2020), Flow field and performance study of Savonius water turbine, Materials today: Proceedings, (Article in Press) DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2020.08.591.
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2019), A review on technology, configurations, and performance of cross?flow hydrokinetic turbines, International Journal of Energy Research, pp. 43(13), 6639-6679,.DOI: 10.1002/er.4625, © 2019 (John Wiley & Sons) Impact Factor: 3.741, SCImago Journal Rank (SJR): 0.84.
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2018), A numerical analysis to study the effect of radius ratio and attachment angle on hybrid hydrokinetic turbine performance, Energy for Sustainable Development, 47, December 2018, 94-106. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.esd. 2018.09.005, © 2018 Elsevier. Impact Factor: 3.610, SCImago Journal Rank (SJR): 1.488.
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., Clearance and Blockage Effects on Hydrodynamic Performance of Hybrid Hydrokinetic Turbine, Submitted (Ocean Engineering), Under Revision.
- Saini R.P., Singal S.K. and Saini Gaurav, Performance Investigations on a Cross Flow Hydro Turbine with Improvement in the Internal Flow Structure, Submitted (Energy), Under Revision.
PEER-REVIEWED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2020). Study of Installations of Hydrokinetic Turbines and their Environmental Effects, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2273, 050022; https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0024338, 2nd International Conference on Mechanical, Materials and Renewable Energy (ICMMRE 2019) Sikkim Manipal University, Sikkim, India. (Awarded for best presentation)
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2019). Comparative Investigations for Performance and Self-starting Characteristics of Hybrid and Single Darrieus Hydrokinetic Turbine, Energy Reports, vol. 6, (2), pp. 96-100, Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Power and Energy Systems Engineering (CPESE 2019) Okinawa, Japan. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egyr.2019.11.047.
- Saini Gaurav, Kumar Anuj and Saini R.P., (2019), Improvement of Starting Torque Characteristics of Darrieus Hydrokinetic Turbine, 11th International Exergy, Energy and Environment Symposium (IEEES-11) 14 - 18, July 2019, , © SRM Institute of Science and Technology Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2018), Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Blade Profile of a Darrieus Hydrokinetic Turbine, 5th IEEE Uttar Pradesh Section International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering (UPCON 2018), MMM Gorakhpur, Nov.2-4, 2018. DOI:10.1109/UPCON.2018.8 597073.
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2018), Numerical Investigations for Performance Comparison of Savonius Hydrokinetic Turbine, 1st International Conference on New Frontiers in Engineering, Science & Technology (NFEST 2018), Delhi Technological University (DTU) New Delhi, India. pp. 395-400.
- Saini Gaurav and Saini R.P., (2018), Numerical Investigations on Hybrid Hydrokinetic Turbine for Electrification in Remote Area, All India Seminar on Renewable Energy for Sustainable Development, Institution of Engineers Ghaziabad Section(IoE), India.
- Saini Gaurav., Saini R.P. (2021) Performance Study of Cross Flow Hybrid Hydrokinetic Turbine. In: Pandey A., Mishra S., Kansal M., Singh R., Singh V.P. (eds) Hydrological Extremes. Water Science and Technology Library, vol. 97. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-59148-9_17