The Library was started in April 1857 with a capital expenditure of Rs.5,000/-. The Institute library has the distinction of being one of the oldest and the largest resourceful technical library in the south-east Asia. The total area of the library is around 3,000 square meters and it is open from 9.00 A.M. to 12.00 A.M. The library not only caters to the basic information needs of faculty members, research scholars and students of this Institute but also provides information services to research workers of neighbouring universities and research institutes.
The mission of the Central Library is to facilitate creation of new knowledge through acquisition, organization and dissemination of knowledge resources and providing for value added services.