Dr. Suman Samanta is presently working as a faculty member in the area of Operations at the School of Management Science, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology Shibpur. He had worked as a Post-doctoral Researcher at the School of Computer Science and Information Technology at the University College Cork, Ireland. He had completed his Ph.D. from the Department of Industrial and Management Engineering, IIT Kanpur in 2018. He completed his masters of production engineering (with university medal) in the year 2010 from the Department of Production Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata with university medal. His graduation (B.Tech) was in Production Engineering and Management from the National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur (2007). His research interests include Optimization, Meta-heuristics, Operations Research, Operations Management, and related fields. He has published his work in high-quality peer-reviewed journals like Computers & Industrial Engineering, Applied Soft Computing, and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. He was awarded best track paper awards in some reputed international conferences (IEOM-2015 and 2016). Besides academic credentials, Dr. Samanta have vivid interest in running/jogging. He has completed two official half marathons in 2018 and 2019. He also likes to go for trekking on holidays.
- PhD (2018), Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- ME (2010), Jadavpur University (Gold Medallist)
- B.Tech (2007), National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur
- Optimization of inter-woven system
- Single and multi-objective optimization
- Combinatorial optimization
- Integer and Mixed-integer programming
- Simulation modelling
- Energy analytics
- Lean production
- Suman Samanta, Deepu Philip, Shankar Chakraborty, A Quick Convergent Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm for Solving Quadratic Assignment Problems, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 137 (2019), 106070, 2019 (Impact factor: 4.135, Citation: 2, ABDC Rank ‘A’, SCIE)
- Suman Samanta, Deepu Philip, Shankar Chakraborty, Bi-objective Dependent Location Quadratic Assignment Problem: Formulation and Solution using a Modified Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 121(2018), 8-26, 2018. (Impact factor: 4.135, Citation: 10, ABDC Rank ‘A’, SCIE)
- Rajesh Mukharjee, Shankar Chakraborty and Suman Samanta, “Selection of wire electrical discharge machining process parameters using non-traditional optimization algorithms”, Applied Soft Computing, 12(8), 2506-2516, 2012. (Impact factor: 5.472, Citation: 107, ABDC Rank ‘C’, SCIE)
- Suman Samanta and Shankar Chakraborty, “Parametric optimization of some non-traditional machining processes using artificial bee colony algorithm”, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 24(6), 946-957, 2011. (Impact factor: 4.201, Citation: 168, SCIE)
- Suman Samanta, Deepu Philip, J Ramkumar, A Modified ABC Algorithm with Genetic and Local Search for solving QAP, Proceedings of the 2016 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 8-10, 2016. (Received Best Track paper award for the track Facilities Planning and Management)
- Amandeep Singh, Deepu Philip, J. Ramkumar, Suman Samanta, Simulation analysis for sustainable manufacturing: A green roadmap, Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Operations Excellence and Service Engineering Orlando, Florida, USA, September 10-11, 2015. (Received 3rd Place in Research Paper Competition)
- Suman samanta, Deepu Philip, Rishav Deo Mall, Amandeep Singh, Two Step Facility Layout Optimization of an Indian Bus Body Manufacturing Plant Using Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm and its Variants, In Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operational Management (IEOM-2015), IEEE Xplore, March 3-5, 2015. (Received Best Track paper award for the track Facilities Planning and Management)
- Onkar, Suman Samanta, Deepu Philip,Material Optimization and process improvement using simulation for makeshift auto chassis manufacturing of an Indian SME, , In Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operational Management (IEOM-2015), IEEE Xplore, March 3-5, 2015.
- Suman Samanta, Onkar, and Deepu Philip, “Facility Layout Optimization of an Indian SME Using Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm”, In Proc. of Int'l Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Energy and Manufacturing Engineering (ICAEME’2014), June 9-10, 2014 Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), 16-22. (Citation: 2)
- Suman Samanta and Sahnkar Chakraborty, “Optimization of wire-electrical discharge machining process parameters using artificial bee colony algorithm”, In Proc of 3rd International and 24th National Conference of All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference(AIMTDR-2010), paper no-168, 2010.
- Suman Samanta and Shankar Chakraborty, “Parametric optimization of electrochemical discharge machining process using artificial bee colony algorithm”, In Proc. of International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering (ICAME-2010), 2010.