With the end of Second World War, the necessity of further expansion and the development of the college was felt and a 'Committee for the Development of Higher Engineering and Technical Education in Bengal' under the Chairmanship of the Director of Public Instruction recommended two plans - one 'Immediate' and the other 'Five Year Plan' for the college. Under the 'Immediate' plan the committee made recommendations regarding the increase of student strength from 300 to 520, an improved curriculum, better teaching staff, a greater range of degree courses and a close liaison with industry. The objective of the 'Five Year Plan' was to upgrade the college to the status of a modern and well-equipped institution with facilities for postgraduate study and research.
A new building was constructed in the year 1949 and all academic departments were moved to the new building. In 1954, postgraduate courses in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Metallurgical were introduced. A postgraduate certificate course in Naval Architecture was also introduced during this period. Doctoral programs were also introduced at this time and approved by Calcutta University to enhance research activities (which started as far back as 1901) in the college. During 1954-55, an agreement was concluded by this college and the University of Wisconsin, USA, whereby six guest professors from the USA joined the college and in exchange, five teachers from the college went to the USA as Research Associate. This scheme, known as Technical Co-operation Programme of the USA, helped the college in developing laboratories, postgraduate programmes and research facilities.
The college celebrated its gala centenary function inaugurated by Dr. B. C. Roy on the 25th of December 1956 and Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru graced concluding session on 14th January 1957. The Department of Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering was sanctioned in 1956. The Department of Mining Engineering started functioning in 1956. The introduction of a Teachers' Training course during 1959-60 was a noteworthy event. The college started its first Computer Centre in 1976-77 and a Microprocessor Laboratory in this centre in 1979. The 125th anniversary of the college was celebrated in December 11, 1981, which was inauguration by Sri N. Sanjiva Reddy, the then President of India.
In 1982, a new degree course in Computer Science & Technology was started and with the modernization of the facilities, this department started offering the Master of Engineering courses in 1988 and Master of Computer Applications courses in 1991.
The college was selected as a participating Institute under the World Bank EIDP Project and an endowment amount of Rs. 200,000,000 was received for upgrading the teaching facilities and laboratories in the Electronics and Computer Science Departments. An E-mail facility was offered by the DOE under this project through which the university had access to information super highway.
The alumni of the college hold top positions in various national and international organizations. In recognition of its service to the nation for 143 years of its existence with its well organized infrastructure, the college was elevated to the status of a "Deemed University" in 1992 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India on the recommendation of a UGC Expert Committee. Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, the President of India, inaugurated the University in March 1993.
In 2004, B.E. College (Deemed University) was converted into a full-fledged university by an act in the West Bengal Assembly and renamed as Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur. In addition to the tradition of engineering disciplines, the university started M. Sc curriculum in basic sciences.
In March 2014, Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur was taken over by the Government of India and it was converted into an Institute of National Importance through an act of parliament and was renamed as Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur.
Created: 23 November 2019