Ph. D.Enrollment No.:
13 Nov 2010Registration No.:
16 Apr 2012Supervisor: Keya Mitra
Topic: The Strategic Role of Mitigation Planning for Earthquake and Landslide Prone Indian Hill Towns: Case Study Aizawl
Mitigation planning is a little understood area in India, where scores of good but uncoordinated initiatives have marked mitigation efforts since the 1990s. As a result, repeatedly, the nation depends on the NDRF to swing into action in extremely difficult conditions. Mitigation has clearly not been prioritised in our region, and Dr. Hari Kumar decided to navigate this much talked about, but hitherto little understood area within the domain of disaster studies. He looked into the questions of what constitutes effective mitigation, how this seemingly unattainable state can be achieved and held on to, if at all, how other multi hazard prone countries have dealt with mitigation, the impediments, and ways of encouraging jurisdictions to take up mitigation actions, especially in the risk prone hilly areas.
- Mitra, K. & Kumar, H. Promoting Seismic Safety in the Housing Sector in India. 16th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2018.
- Rodgers, J., Kumar, H., Tshering, K., Tlau, L., Ojha, U., & Ortiz-Millian, M. et al. (2018). Resilience Challenges in South and Southeast Asian Hill Cities. Los Angeles: 11th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
- Practical lessons from using Scenarios in Emerging Countries–H. Kumar, J. Rodgers , B. Tucker, L. Tobin, and A. Chakos (11th National conference on earthquake engineering LA 2018).
- Rodgers, J.E., Clahan, K.B., Tobin, L.T., Kumar, H., Holmes, W.T., Seeber, L., Gahalaut, V., Ramancharla, P., Tlau, L., Jaisi, N., Zohmingthanga, Mintier, L., Katuri, A., Lalhmangaiha, D. (2017). Practical uses of a scenario describing earthquake and earthquake-induced landslide impacts on Aizawl, India. 2015 Seismological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado.
- Rodgers, J.E., Kumar, H., Tshering, K.D., Holmes, W.T., Clahan., K.B., and Tenzin, S (2017). Initial Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of Mongar Regional Referral Hospital, Mongar, Bhutan, report to the Bhutan Country Office of the World Health Organization, GeoHazards International, Menlo Park, California.
- Rodgers, J.E., Kumar, H., and Ortiz-Millan, M. (2017). Review of Hospital Safety Index Effectiveness in Nepal Using Pre- and Post-2015 Earthquake Observations, report to World Health Organization. GeoHazards International, Menlo Park, California.Investigating Community Resilience in Nepal: A Healthcare Focus: J. Mitrani-Reiser, M. Mieler, H. Kumar, S. Shrestha, Michael Germaraad, K. O’Conor, T.D. Kirsch. 16th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, 16WCEE 2017, Santiago Chile, January 9th to 13th 2017 Paper No. 2124
- Rodgers, J.E., Kumar, H.K., and Kim, H.J. (2015). Screening Assessment of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (Bir Hospital), Kathmandu, Nepal, Using the WHO Hospital Safety Index, GeoHazards International, Menlo Park, California.
- Rodgers, J.E., Kumar, H.K., and Kim, H.J. (2015). Screening Assessment of the Sukra Raj Tropical and Infectious Diseases Hospital (Teku Hospital), Kathmandu, Nepal, Using the WHO Hospital Safety Index, GeoHazards International, Menlo Park, California.
- Rodgers, J.E., Cedillos, V., Tshering, K.D., Tobin, L.T., and Kumar, H. (2015). Developing Messages for Protective Actions to Take During Earthquake Shaking, GeoHazards International, Menlo Park, California.
- EERI Earthquake Reconnaissance Team Report: M7.8 Gorkha, Nepal Earthquake on April 25, 2015 and its Aftershocks: B.Lizundia, S.N. Shrestha, J.Bevington, R.Davidson, K.Jaiswal, G.K.Jimee, H.Kaushik, H. Kumar,J. Kupec, J.MReiser, C.Poland, S.Shrestha,C. Welton-Mitchell, H.Tremayne, and M.Ortiz (ISBN: 978-1-932884-67-8).
- S. De, H. Kumar, R. Pradeep, P. Sethi,Structural, and Non-structural assessment report for GNRC Multi-specialty Hospital, Dispur, Guwahati, GeoHazards Society(December 2015)
- Rodgers, J.E., Tobin, L.T., Kumar, H., Seeber, L., Clahan, K.B., Holmes, W.T., Gahalaut, V.K., Mintier, J.L., Katuri, A., Jaisi, N., Zohmingthanga, H., Lalmangaiha, D., Tlau, R., and others (2014). A Safer Tomorrow: Effects of a Magnitude 7 Earthquake on Aizawl India and Recommendations to Reduce Losses, GeoHazards International, Menlo Park, California.
- Chaurasia, A. Karanth, Hari Kumar, CVR Murty (May 2013) Doda Earthquake Post-Earthquake Reconnaissance Survey Report: NDMA
- Murty, C.V.R., Kumar, H., Mitra, K., Rai, D.C., Bose. A Methodology for documenting Housing Typologies in the Moderate-Severe Seismic Zones of India. Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council Ministry of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation New Delhi, 2013.
- H. Kumar, Holmes, W.T., Rodgers, J.E., Tshering, K.D., Assessment of effects of three different earthquakes on the JigmeDorjeeWangchuk National Referral Hospital, Thimphu and recommendations: SEARO, WHO, New Delhi (September 2013).
- H. Kumar, Holmes, W.T., Rodgers, J.E., Mitra, K: Assessment of Non-structural hazards and Mitigation in Bir Hospital, Paropakar Maternity and Women’s Hospital, and Kanti Children’s Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2013, WHO